If my husband is in the U.S. illegally, is our marriage legal?

How do I end it if I no longer want to be married?

Asked on March 19, 2017 under Family Law, Massachusetts


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A marriage between a U.S. citizen and an illegal immigrant is legal. Therefore, to end a marriage such as yours,  just as with any other marriage you must obtain a divorce. That having been said, if he married you to gain legal immigration status and you were not aware of that at the time, then that can potentially render the marriage void. The reason is that a contract (and a marriage is a contract) created under fraud and/or misrepresentation is voidable by the injured party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.