Military Car Insurance Discounts and Tips
Free Insurance Quote Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Aug 13, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
There are many men and woman serving in the military armed forces, many deployed in other countries, who will have questions about their car insurance such as:
- What happens to your car insurance if you leave your vehicle when you are deployed?
- Will your car insurance policy cover you if you are assigned or stationed to another state and you drive your car in that state?
- What car insurance discounts are available to you?
The answer to these questions, and others, will vary depending on your car insurance company, however, you should be aware of the basic issues that members of the armed forces face when it comes to insuring their vehicle.
Deployment and Military Car Insurance
If you are deployed to another country and leave your car behind, you probably will not be able to cancel your insurance altogether because most states require car insurance on all tagged and licensed vehicles. But there are things you can do to lower your insurance bill while you are away such as:
- Change your deductible payment – If your car is still financed or leased you may be required to carry full coverage on your vehicle. However, while away, you can raise your deductible payments to the highest levels (say $1,000 on comp and collision) to lower your premiums. Because you only pay deductible payments if something happens to the vehicle, you can safely raise it for a car that will not be used. Doing so will reduce your premiums. Remember to readjust your deductible payment when you return and start driving your car again!
- Reduce your coverage – If your car is paid in full you might consider dropping full coverage and carrying liability and comprehensive coverage only. Since the car will be parked, dropping the collision coverage would save you premium. However, if you feel someone will drive the car, don’t take that risk. If they have an accident and you only have liability coverage only, the damage to your vehicle will not be covered.
- Putting the car in storage – Some insurance companies provide storage insurance. This simply means carrying only comprehensive coverage. Some state will not allow this. Therefore call your insurance carrier or agent and inquire on this type of coverage to see if it is available. Make sure you tell them you are military and ask for any military car insurance discounts.
It is always good if you are in the military to grant someone your Power of attorney (POA) to handle your affairs while you are away. In the case of an auto insurance claim,
this person will be able to handle the claim with your insurance company as well as grant the necessary repairs to your vehicle.
Military Insurance and Driving in Another State
If you are assigned or stationed to another state, driving in that other state with your present car insurance is fine. If your present liability limits are lower than the state in which you are assigned, your policy has a provision that automatically gives you the minimum liability limits for that state. In the event you should have an accident, you will be compliant with that state’s laws.
If you feel you will be station or assigned to another state for any long period of time, you should check into obtain insurance in that state. Depending on where you are stationed, you could be pleasantly surprised as your premium could drop dramatically!
Military Discount for Your Car Insurance
Some companies give military discounts for car insurance. Ask your agent when you have them on the phone. Companies such as USAA specialize in military insurance and offer such a discount. Whether there is such a military car insurance discount or any special coverage they have for your situation really depends on the insurance company. Therefore, check around before you deploy or become reassigned. You could save you money while away!
If you would like to speak to an agent in your area concerning these coverage or any discounts you may be entitled to for cheap military car insurance. Click here to visit the Free Advice quote center to find the best deals on military car insurance.
For more information about getting the right car insurance policy to fit your needs, check out the following articles:
More Articles Addressing A Variety Of Car Insurance Needs