Accident law includes personal injury and insurance law issues related to auto accidents. Accident law makes up a large portion of legal practice and is one of the most common ways that average people interact with the legal system. Though most attorneys can offer basic guidance on accident law issues, if you have been involved in an accident you should seek a specialist at a car accident law firm. Look for an auto accident attorney who has experience in your area and who has won cases in ways beyond merely settling. Remember that there are different issues when a commercial vehicle was involved such as a big rig. In that case, look for a truck accident law firm that has a track record in cases with commercial carriers.
Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Feb 18, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
- Accident law is a term that covers the different types of legal practice that are involved with auto accidents.
- Insurance law and personal injury law make up the majority of accident law.
- Though many general practice attorneys may offer accident law services, auto accident law firms that specialize are often better equipped to deal with contentious car accident cases.
One of the most common ways that most people have to deal with the legal system is through the unfortunate side effects of being involved in an auto accident. Accident law is a general term that encompasses car insurance law and accident-related personal injury law, primarily.
Auto accident law firms specialize in those areas of the law connected to car accidents. Given the number of cars and drivers on the road, it’s no surprise that car accident law firms can specialize.
If you have been in a car accident, finding a car accident law firm to take on your case rather than a general practice attorney is in your best interest.
You can find a car accident attorney near you with our FREE search tool right now.
Who is at fault in an accident?
One of the most important considerations in how accident cases resolve is determining who is at fault. Most states have fault-based insurance rules and some have no-fault insurance rules.
No-fault states typically let each driver’s insurance cover their damages. In fault-based states, fault is determined based on the negligence rules in each state:
- Pure comparative negligence states make each driver pay the percent they are at fault.
- Modified comparative negligence states will not let a driver be compensated who is more than half responsible for the accident.
- The few states that use contributory negligence will not allow a driver to get money from another driver (or their insurance) if the first driver contributed to the accident happening at all.
If these terms seem confusing, you can follow our links to learn more. However, if you’ve been in a car accident you should definitely find an experienced accident attorney to explain your state’s rules and your best course of action. You can begin your search for an accident lawyer near you with our FREE search tool.