i just found out my lawyer has been arrested twice for dui and has been thrown out of court for being intoxicated

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i just found out my lawyer has been arrested twice for dui and has been thrown out of court for being intoxicated

shouldn’t i have been told about this by her? and what recourse do i have?

Asked on March 19, 2017 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have any recourse yet, based on what you write: DUIs have nothing to do with a divorce or matrimonial case (the area of law you are writing about) and in no ways show that your attorney is unfit to represent you. Similarly, if she was previously intoxicated in court, so long as she is not intoxicated while representing you, her prior episode is not relevant: all that matters is whether she renders good representation to you. If she shows up drunk to a meeting with you, to a hearing on the case, etc., that would be grounds to take action (e.g. change lawyers; possibly bring a malpractice suit); but if she renders you good representation, she is doing her ethical and professional duty.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption