What shouldI do about and old DUI that I never showed up to my court date for?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do about and old DUI that I never showed up to my court date for?

I was arrested for a DUI 8 years ago and was never able to make the court date. 3 years later I was arrested again when I was walking home from work. They gave me a court date but I was not able to make that court date because it is an hour away. What do you think would be the best thing for me to do because I do have a little one at home?

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that the best thing for you to do is to go and hire an attorney as soon as you possibly can for all of these matters.  These are very serious issues here and you need to deal with them head on and right away, especially with a small child at home. Your arrest three years after the failure to appear at the DUI court date, was that for an outstanding warrant issued from the original charge?  You are making things so much worse for yourself and really they could be cleared up with very little effort.  You appears to have cleaned up your act and gotten a job and are raising a family and not to have been rearrested except for the warrant.  Please hire an attorney and deal with the matter now.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption