Am I considered to be self-employed if I helped to establish a C-corporation?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I considered to be self-employed if I helped to establish a C-corporation?

I partnered with someone to establish a C-corp and I need financial assistance. I have applied for temporary assistance with the local department of social service and on the application it asks if I am self-employed. I am unsure how to answer that question since I receive a paycheck but do not profit from the business.

Asked on January 9, 2011 under Business Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The way that you have written this question it is difficult to determine how you should classify yourself.  You use the word "partnered" which has a different connotation that "employee" but state you do not share in the profits from the business but get a paycheck.  One would really need to review the partnership agreement here and see what it says as to you.  You may be considered an employee then you would not be "self-employed."  How are you planning on filing your taxes?  Do you intend on filing as a partner of the business pr with partnership income?  Seek help possibly from an accountant in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption