water leaking from the ceiling

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

water leaking from the ceiling

I bought my apartment in 1993. In 2014, the water leaking
from the ceiling in the kitchen. I called the manager from
the Condo and he told the owner from the upstair to fix it.
After they fixed it, it happened again. They fixed it 2 times
in 2014. In 2015, it happened again 2-3 times. sometimes, we
hired plumbers to fix the ceiling. In 2016, we hired
inspector to inspect mold. He said the whole house infected
with mold then we decided to remodel the house and it did
cost approximately 20k. After that, the water leaking from
the ceiling again. I called the manager and they called the
plumber to check the pipes and they replaced it. After 5
months, it happened again.

I think the problem is the manager did not want to replace
all the pipes because it costs a lot of money. My family
lives in the house with mold for 3 yrs. What do I need to do?
plz advice

Asked on June 14, 2017 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue whomever was legally responsible for the leaking pipes (e.g. your upstairs neighbor or the condo association--whoever was legally responsible for those pipes and their maintenance) for the costs and damage you incurred. When someone negligently (unreasonably carelessly) damages another's property, the become liable (legally resonsible to pay) for the damage they cause. Not fixing a recurring or continuing problem of which they have been made aware is negligent, so the person who could or should have fixed the pipes can be held liable for the consequnces of their failure to have this problem fixed. 
Unless someone in your family suffered serious injury from the mold, you would not want a personal injury attorney--they really do tend to specialize in physical injury to or illness of people. Instead, you will want a lawyer with some experience of suing over property damage. Some landlord-tenant attorneys do this; some real estate attorneys; and also lawyers who handle construction defects. An experienced general litigator could also handle a case like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption