My vehicle was in a fire at a car dealership in the shop while being serviced…

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My vehicle was in a fire at a car dealership in the shop while being serviced…

we found out from the fire investigation report that the fire was caused by an
extension cord that they closed a door on when they went home and it sparked the
fire. My car is totaled and the insurance company only wants to pay the least
amount. Honestly, isn’t the dealership responsible to make me whole? Nothing
was my fault and it was negligence.

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Insurance Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the auto dealer's insurance carrier, your only recourse is to sue the auto dealer for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable auto dealer would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent forseeable harm).
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the value of your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption