Will auto insurance cover the car damage that happened a year ago if there was a lapse in coverage 3 months ago.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will auto insurance cover the car damage that happened a year ago if there was a lapse in coverage 3 months ago.

The car accident happened a year ago, but I didn’t file the claim because I was
too busy and also because I didn’t have money for a deductible. About 3 months
ago I had a lapse in insurance coverage for a month or two. I restarted the
insurance coverage. Can I make the claim for the car accident that happened a
year ago?

Thank you,
Irina N.

Asked on February 27, 2018 under Insurance Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the other party was at fault, your property damage claim should be filed with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.
If you were at fault in the accident, your insurance company will pay for the damage to the other party's car.
Since you had insurance when the accident occurred, you are covered if you were at fault in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption