What are a tenant’s rights when their landlord sells the rental property?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights when their landlord sells the rental property?

I signed a 1-year lease for an apartment9 months ago but the building was sold to a new owner. He made us sign new agreements 3 months ago that stated they were month-to-month. I decided to move out this week and gave him my 30-day notice but he refused to let me leave, stating that the original agreement was still in effect and that even if I signed something new, that didn’t matter.

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Nope he cannot do that. He created or submitted a document to you. You voluntarily signed but he voluntarily offered it as a month to month. That means he substituted the original lease agreement. That original agreement is null and void. That means you are right and gave the proper notice under the new lease agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption