Can I do anything about being marked non-rehirable, if I gave and finished out my 2 weeks notice and left on good terms?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I do anything about being marked non-rehirable, if I gave and finished out my 2 weeks notice and left on good terms?

It’s affecting me getting another job and providing for my son. I know it was out of spite for trying to go to a different store.

Asked on August 21, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The employer is not required to give you a positive recommendation, or even any recommendation at all--they could refuse to recommend you, or even verify your employment, if they wanted.
But they can't lie about you if they do misrepresent or lie about you  and state something negative which is untrue and which damages your reputation, they may have committed defamation. If they did defame you, you may have grounds to sue them for monetary compensation. If they are telling prospective employers or others in the industry that you are non-hireable and/or that you did something wrong as an employee when that is not the case, that may be defamation. If you think they are defaming you, including to possible employers, you should speak with a personal injury attorney about whether you may have a viable legal claim. May P.I. attorneys will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case you can ask about this before making the appointment to see the attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption