What to do if my sister was in a car accident and is uninsured but the at-fault driver does have auto insurance?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister was in a car accident and is uninsured but the at-fault driver does have auto insurance?

As she pulled away from the curb where she was parked another car hit her from the front driver side. Not too much damage to her car but she busted her forehead up on steering wheel. She was close to home so she drove there and my mom took her to the hospital; she received stitches and the doctor said no work for 2 days. She got the other person’s (who hit her) information. He has insurance but she doesn’t. What is the best thing she can do?

Asked on April 18, 2013 under Accident Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If she was indeed not at fault, then whether or not she had insurance does not matter. She can make a personal injury claim against the at-fault driver. At this point, the best thing that she can do is to contact a personal injury attorney in her area. They can best advise as to her next move.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption