How can I handle a hit and run accident?

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I handle a hit and run accident?

Technically, I went back to the scene and talked things out with the victim and explained why I left due to a natural reaction of being scared. Now we are on the process of finding restitution for the victims car but im not sure if I know what I’m doing because it has already been reported but the victim is willing to look beyond that and just getting this out the way with out court.

Asked on October 22, 2012 under Accident Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, it's good that you went back to share your information.  As long as law enforcement and the victim are okay with going forward without any criminal charges, then you can proceed like you would for any other vehicle accident.  If your insurance companies are not involved, you could contact them to have them help both of you with deciding the restitution amount.  You can also just work with the victim to come to an agreement on the amount of restitution and an a payment plan for the restitution.  Regardless of the amount that you come up with, make sure that you keep proof of the payments that you make.  This victim may be amicable at this point, but if they decide to file a civil suit against you later, you will want to have verification of the payments that you have already made.

If the law enforcement does decide to go forward with misdemeanor charges of property damage "hit and run", then you can still work with the victim to repay restitution.  However, make sure that the prosecuting attorney's office gets copies of your agreement and your proof of payments.  They can take into consideration your efforts to make the victim whole when deciding if and how to go forward on your case.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption