Clarification on same/similar employment under EB2 category?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Clarification on same/similar employment under EB2 category?

Filled I-485 in 2012 under EB-2 category and received EAD. Planning to switch employers, wanted to get clarification on same/similar job category for switching employers. Will the same industry would suffice USCIS needs or it has to be same job category? For example, if I work in a university and switch to a university would be acceptable for any position or if I work in customer interactions in a company I can work in any industry that has a job that focuses on customer interaction?

Asked on May 30, 2019 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can switch employers as long as you work in the same or similar job classification and for that assessment you need to have the new employer review the job description as it was submitted in the PERM and I140 petitions and make that determination to be on the safe side.  Then you can safely switch employers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption