How can I know if someone was a U.S. citizen by naturalization?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I know if someone was a U.S. citizen by naturalization?

A friend who didn’t know her late Mexican father, wants to know if he ever got the U.S. citizenship by naturalization. She believes he did, given the fact that he was a renowned customs agent in Mexico, and by what she has heard, he did travel often to the US. Another important thing to take into account is that, to this day, she does not have any information or documentation on him, other than his full name.

Asked on May 28, 2019 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Without knowing some additional identifiers, it would be nearly impossible to find out anything related to immigration for her father but if she can come up with more documentation like his date of birth, social security number, anything else like copies of birth certificate or passport or other id , etc. she can do a freedom of information act request and try to get additional information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption