What to do if after informing management of a bed bug infestation, I have been told I am solely to blame and responsible for all costs?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if after informing management of a bed bug infestation, I have been told I am solely to blame and responsible for all costs?

I reported the presence of the pests (parasites, actually) as soon as I discovered them. They were responsive and had the exterminator on site the next day, but then put an “agreement” in my door to begin treatment in which I accept fault and sole burden of costs. What burden of proof is required to “prove” this is my doing and short of that are they still responsible for the “Warranty of Habitability?”

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is liable for the implied and express warranties of habitability; however, you are also responsible for not bringing infestations in the apartment and any damages you cause as a tenant are solely your responsibility, even if those are improvements (like painting). So, if the landlord did not have a bed bug infestation before, and no other tenant complained of bed bugs and you either newly moved in or purchased or brought in used furniture (like couches) or mattresses or just came back from vacation somewhere, then it would be up to you to show this was not your doing. So, you may wish to put the burden back on the landlord if the above don't apply to you and have him explain himself and explain you will not sign any documents assigning fault to you and placing the burden of costs on you. If you have to complain to the state attorney general or local HUD office if it handles landlord tenant matters, then do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption