If asexual predator slipped through my screening process and is now living in my apartment building, can I evict him?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If asexual predator slipped through my screening process and is now living in my apartment building, can I evict him?

Adjacent landlords are complaining because they now cannot get their units rented because of the the sexual predator. Can these landlords sue me for damages?

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The landlords cannot sue you successfully for damages; you don't owe them a duty and you don't have contractual relationships with them. As to your tenant, you can most certainly evict him. Check his application; if he said no to any item concerning his previous criminal history, he has breached a material part of his agreement and you need to inform him in writing that he must leave. If he refuses to leave, try to involve the police. If they refuse to help, you must go through the long (sometimes) process of eviction based on his lies. Now, as to future purposes, always internet search his name or check with your local police with his social security number and try a different service for background checks.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption