Can I fight to have mycondo re-assessed if it is assessed at more then twice the amount it has been appraised at?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that your current property tax assessment for your condominium is too high due to the downturn in the real estate market, you need to go down to your county tax assessor and fill out a form requesting that your parcel be re-assessed for tax purposes, hopefully at a lower amount.

I would also bring in written comparables in the area where you reside to be attached to the application showing the decline in value.

Be prepared to follow up repeatedly with your request with the county tax assessor. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.