How to amend a trust fund?

My children have a trust fund. At the time it was set up we wanted to wait until they were 18 to get this. How can we change it so they can use it now?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are one of the trustors of the trust that was set up for your children then you might be able to simply have an amendment drafted to this trust allowing for the distribution of its corpus to them depending upon how the trust is written.

I suggest that you carefully read it and then contact a Wills and trust attorney as to the possibility of creating the amendment to the trust's distribution clause that you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.