If I was injured at work which resulted in a torn bicep tendon and I just had surgery to repair it, am I entitled to a settlement?

Should I get an attorney.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Personal Injury, Florida


Micah Longo / The Longo Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Yes you should get an attorney.  In Florida, if you are injured at work, generally your only remedy is workman's comp.  


However, I would ask more details on the mechnism of injury to determine whether or not there is any 3rd party liability.  

For example, were you injured using a piece of equipment that was defective?  Then you may have a claim against the seller and/or manufacture of the equipment under a product liablity theory.  

Robert Slim / Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends.  In Texas, if the employer was a subscriber to the Texas Workers Compensation Act ("The Act"), then your rights are strictly governed by those rules and regulations.  If your employer was not a subscriber to The Act, then you may pursue common negligence claims against your employer (if the facts support a claim of negligence).

Feel free to call me for a free consultation.  I can be reached at 214-321-8225 days, evenings, weekends.

Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would suggest that you get an attorney.  Laws from state to state vary so it is in your best interest to consult with a workers compensation or personal injury attorney to find out what your rights are with respect to both a workers compensation claim and a personal injury claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.