Do I need an estate attorney if my aunt deeded her house to me but I didn’t register it?

My grandmother passed last month. She has a Will which was done 10 years ago and of which I am the executor. She left me her house and all possessions. About 5 months ago she did the paperwork and included me on the deed; it’s notarized and signed. I did not register the deed; should I? There is also a mortgage left on the house. She has no credit card debt but she has hospital bills. A letter was sent to her home from DCM asking for the executor of her estate.

Asked on March 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with an attorney in your area and bring all the paperwork. generally speaking, a deed that was properly executed can be filed at any time.  My concern here is that DCM is going to say that she trasnferred the asset to avoid creditors and that it is an invalid transfer under the law.  Ask for a consultation flat rate fee so you know the path you have to take.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.