What to do if I’m trying to claim unclaimed money that was set up as a family Trust by my uncle who has passed away?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m trying to claim unclaimed money that was set up as a family Trust by my uncle who has passed away?

In order to go any further with my claim for unclaimed money I’m asked to provide a copy of certificate of trust or copy of entire trust agreement. Where would I find either of these? Also, I need proof of social security number would this be on death certificate?

Asked on March 12, 2015 under Estate Planning, Nevada


Christine Socrates / Christine Sabio Socrates, Atty at Law

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You would need to contact the attorney who assisted with the Family Trust or to the person who set up the trust (the testator).  Trusts are not normally filed anywhere officially so it may be difficult to locate if the testator is deceased and the family does not have a copy.  The attorney would be the best resource, if you know which attorney was used.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption