After a divorce is final, am I still responsible for her debt if I’m a co-signer?

I am the co-signer for my ex-wife’s vehicle. I would like to take my name off that account due to the fact that its lowering my credit score by adding more debt. I was told that once a divorce is final all i had to do is call the dealership to get my name off the account, is this true?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, not really.  Have you already finalized the divorce?  Did you have a lawyer?

Usually as a part of the marital settlement agreement, the party not keeping the vehicle demands that the other party refinance the car into their name alone.  If you didn't make that a part of the settlement agreement, then you are still liable as a co-signer in spite of being divorced. 

You can ask your ex to refinance.  You could also call the finance company and ask the finance company to do a "voluntary repo" but that will hurt your credit almost as much as continual late payments. 

If you have a lawyer call them and ask them why they didn't address this.  If you didn't have one, next time you face a legal matter remember lawyers can be helpful!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.