What to do if my boyfriend as charged with something that I did?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my boyfriend as charged with something that I did?

My boyfriend and I were riding with someone and got pulled over for a broken tail light. They pulled my boyfriend out searched him but found nothing at all on him. Then they searched me and found less than a gram of meth and a glass pipe along with a notebook that appears to have illegal drug sales in it. Well the detective who pulled us over made note that he got those items out of my bag. He let me go but charged my boyfriend with less than a gram of meth. If I take the piece of paper that states what they found and who they found it on to the public defender, will/can they drop the charge on him? If so, will they arrest me for the charge? We are trying to get it off of him because he really wasn’t guilty but yet at the same time I’m not trying to put myself in jail. What should I/we do?

Asked on March 20, 2016 under Criminal Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

 You have a dilemma: the best and only certain way to get the charges against your boyfriend dropped is to reveal and admit that the meth and pipe were yours. While it's not automatic that will result in charges being brought against you, it is VERY likely that they will. The problem is, to convincingly show that the drugs and paraphenalia were not his, you need to provide a believable alternative explanation--which is that they were yours. There is no way to effectively claim they were not his without revealing whose they were.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption