If I was abused and beaten by my stepmother 40 years ago, can I sue her?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was abused and beaten by my stepmother 40 years ago, can I sue her?

My 3 sisters were also beaten and there were many witnesses.

Asked on August 28, 2016 under Personal Injury, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is, unfortunately, far too late for this. In your state, child abuse, even sexual abuse, has a statute of limitations, or time within which you must sue, of at most 7 years after the age of majority, or turning 18--that is, you must bring the suit by the time you are 25. If you were beaten 40 years ago, you are over 40 years old; therefore, far too much time has gone by since you turned 18 and became a legal adult to bring a lawsuit for abuse suffered as a child. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption