What are my rights as an automotive consumer if a car has major issues since purchase “as-is”?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as an automotive consumer if a car has major issues since purchase “as-is”?

I bought a car from a used car dealership; it was as-is along with extended warranty. The warranty denied transmission coverage, dealership urged us to cancel warranty – get refund, and offered to assist in fixing. After $7000 of my money and $1900 of dealer’s, car is still not reliable (falls out of gear randomly while driving). I originally agreed via email that I wouldn’t sue after they paid $1900 towards repairs but now car still not drivable, can I still sue? How much leverage do I have as a car buyer? I can’t afford any more repairs.

Asked on August 7, 2012 under General Practice, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file complaints against the warranty company and the dealership.  File these with the department of motor vehicles, the agency who regulates dealers and the insurance department in your state.  You need to push for your money back.  If you approach the dealer by writing to it and following up with phone calls, offer that you will not sue if you get your money back and have it pick up the car. Explain that it sold a car that is not road safe and since you did not get a document to waive your rights (i.e. a document stating it is not road safe), then it really has no grounds to stand behind the "as-is" sale because as a registered dealer, it still must maintain minimum standards.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption