What to do about an increased traffic fine for failure to perform community service?

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about an increased traffic fine for failure to perform community service?

My son got a ticket when he was 17 and the judge ordered a $500 fine and 60 hours of community service. Ipaid the $500 but my son had his high school to finish and he was not able to complete the community service. Now he is 18 and the court wants me to pay $1048 . What to do? I asked if he can redo the community hours now since he is done with high school but they said no he cannot do that.

Asked on January 29, 2011 under General Practice, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Did you have an attorney at the time that you entered in to this agreement with the court as to his sentence?  Maybe you should go back and consult with him or her and see of there is any way that you can make a motion to extend his time to do the community service hours or to ask for an increase in the hours instead of paying such a huge fine.  The court, though, has a lot of discretion with regard to most sentencing issues.  Did you know that there was a time limit for him to complete the community service hours?  Did he do any of them to at least show that he made a good faith effort to try and carry out his sentence?  Get help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption