If the deed is in my name and the mortgage is in my boyfriend’s name, can stay as long as he pays the mortgage?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the deed is in my name and the mortgage is in my boyfriend’s name, can stay as long as he pays the mortgage?

Can he; is this right?

Asked on September 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For some reason you own real property solely in your name as the owner of record and your boyfriend is the only one obligated on the loan and mortgage secured by this real property. Apparently your boyfriend must have been on title to this property and trasnferred it to you.

If your boyfriend is living in the house that you own and he does not, technically you are his landlord and he is your tenant. If the agreement is that he can live in this home so long as he pays the mortgage due monthly on it as the "rent", he can do so.

I suggest that you write down the rental agreement between you and him over this property and that it be signed where copies are kept in order to avoid possible misunderstandings in the future.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption