What to do about a OWI resulting in felony charges?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a OWI resulting in felony charges?

A friend of mine just received her second OWI within the past year. This time she hit someone in a vehicle. The person is fine. Now, however, she has received 3 misdemeanors and 2 felony charges. What kind of jail time/fines can she expect for this? She is still currently in jail. So far its been about a few weeks; her trial is 01/31 and bail is set at 10k.

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Criminal Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Has your friend been assigned an attorney in this matter?  She is entitled to one and she needs to request one as soon as possible. Have you attempted to post bail?  You can post a bond for a percentage of the bail that has been set.  States have really cracked down on driving under the influence cases and repeat offenders can indeed be charged and jailed the same as hard core felons.  But operating a weapon the size of a car without the full use of your senses about you, well, you can understand  why.  Lucky for her that the other person was fine.  She could be facing vehicular manslaughter charges.  How this will all pan out depends on many factors and only her attorney can give that advice comfortably.  Get help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption