Do you have to have all your fines paid off in order to be released from probation?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do you have to have all your fines paid off in order to be released from probation?

I’ve been on probation for 2 years, I was charged with aggravated assault on a minor. I received a class 6 open ended felony. It’s time for me to be off probation and my PO is saying that I will be put down as unsuccessful completion of my probation because I haven’t paid all my fines off even though I’ve paid the monthly payment required. If he puts me as in unsuccessful then instead of my felony being dropped to a misdemeanor It will be designated as a felony.

Asked on December 30, 2010 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that probation can indeed be extended until all the terms of the probation  - and that includes payment of all the fines - have been fulfilled.  If your interpretation of the designation of the crime is correct then I would seek out help as soon as you can from an attorney in the area that deals with criminal defense.  the difference between a felony charge and a misdemeanor charge is tremendous as you are aware I am sure.  And you can not take the chance that you will have the felony on your record for the rest of your life.  Get help as soon as you can and see what deals can be made.  Possibly borrowing the money to pay the fines off now? 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption