What to do if the non-custodial parent is not paying child support and says he’s paying insurance but I haven’t seen proof of it?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the non-custodial parent is not paying child support and says he’s paying insurance but I haven’t seen proof of it?

I don’t have a insurance card for the child. I’m not letting him see child because of it. He is taking me to court for visitation rights and paternity test. What are my rights and do I need a lawyer?

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would first write the non-custodial parent a note seeking the proof of insurance payments for the minor sent to you by a certain date. Keep a copy of the note for future reference and need.

If the due date comes and goes for providing the demanded documentation you should consult with a family law attorney as to what your legal recourse is for enforcing child support payments and getting the presumed health insurance information for the minor child sent to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption