If I am recently divorced and getting remarried next month, can my ex come after me for more child support because my new wife is employed?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am recently divorced and getting remarried next month, can my ex come after me for more child support because my new wife is employed?

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In New Jersey, like any states, the obligation to support a child is on the two parents of the child--not any step parents.  New Jersey has general guidelines which will consider the birth of new children in lowering the amount of child support required to be paid, but the second spouse's income will not be included in the calculation of the parent's income for the calculation of a support obligation.  However, if a child has some type of extraordinary expenses, the court can take into consideration that your new spouse is contributing to the household-- but this is an exception, rather than the rule.

Even though it may be difficult, you may want to consider keeping your income separate in different accounts so that you can track your income versus her income-- this will prevent the funds from being co-mingled and her income accidentally being included with yours.

So bottom line, absent some unusual circumstance with your child, then "no", your ex- cannot go after you for more child support because of your new wife's employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption