What to do if my wife drinks too much and drives?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife drinks too much and drives?

I am concerned that if she hits another car, they can come after our properties and bank accounts if everything is in both our names? Should i take her name off everything?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Accident Law, North Carolina


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your wife were to drive while drunk and hit another vehicle, yes, the owners of the other vehicle could come after both you and your wife for damages which exceed the amount of insurance you carry.  Taking her name off all of your joint assets could offer you some protection, however, if you live in a community property state, this will not fully cover you.  The best way to avoid this issue is for your wife to not drink and drive. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption