What to do if I was hit by a drunk driver and it appears that he has no insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was hit by a drunk driver and it appears that he has no insurance?

My insurance did not have uninsured motorist coverage. What can I do?

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Accident Law, Ohio


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if the person who caused the accident does not have auto insurance and you do not carry uninsured coverage, your options are limited.  You can bring a civil claim against the drunk driver for the damage to your vehicle, however, if the driver does not carry auto insurance, it is not very likely that he or she will have the means to pay a judgment if you were to get one against him or her.  You could end up spending a lot of money out of pocket and have very little if any recovery in the end. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption