If my mother died recently and I will be inheriting her home, what will happen to her mortgage?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother died recently and I will be inheriting her home, what will happen to her mortgage?

There is no Will or spouse. She had a mortgage, on which I am making the payments. I have not notified the mortgage company. I am unable to obtain financing for a home in my name due to low credit score. It was my mother’s wish that the house be mine upon her death, yet I am afraid if I notify the mortgage company, I could lose the home. Does the law allow me to assume this loan without going through some type of approval process with lender? If the lender finds out, can they pull the loan? I don’t want to lose the house.

Asked on January 7, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Take a breath...there is good news here. Typcially, when a mortgaged property that changes ownership, the mortgage lender has the right to demand full payment of the mortgage balance. This is becuase of what is known as a "due on sale" clause. This clause allows the lender to call the mortgage due if a home becomes titled in another person's name.
That having been said, when a home that is mortgaged is inherited, the person who inherits gets the property and automatically takes over the loan; the lender can't call the mortgage due as long the monthly payments are made on time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption