What can a tenant do if they are sexually harassed by maintenance workersbut owners of the building won’t do anything about it?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can a tenant do if they are sexually harassed by maintenance workersbut owners of the building won’t do anything about it?

I have told the owners of this building about my problems with the maintenance yet they just refuse to do anything. These men walk into my apartment whenever they want. They’ve made sexually explicit remarks to me in the elevator, and many other sexually inappropriate things to me and other women in this building. I have a really good deal on this apartment via Section 8 and I hate to let it go because of this and would rather solve the problem myself. Any suggestions?

Asked on June 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  Yes, go and see an attorney and file a complaint against the landlord for creating an unsafe environment for you to live in.  I would consider sending the landlord a letter regarding the fact that these people enter in to your apartment without notice or need for an emergency visit.  You have a right to privacy here.  And I would advise that his workers are acting as they do - give examples - and see if you can get other women in the building to file similar complaints about what is happening to them.  Make sure that you send the letter be certified mail return receipt requested and one with a certificate of mailing (two of the same letters in two different ways). Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption