What can I do if my car dented by shopping cart in a shopping complex parking lot?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my car dented by shopping cart in a shopping complex parking lot?

I think someone push the cart and left away but I did not see him/her. I told the store manager about this case he said no any camera are in parking lot. I call police after 5 minute police came and saw all that thing he left. I call my car insurance about this case they says you are responsible for deductible when you go for auto body care.

Asked on January 5, 2015 under Accident Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you know who did it, you could sue that person, such as in small claims court, for any amounts you have to pay, such as the deductible. However, you cannot sue the store the intentional or careless act of someone else, such as another customer. A store is NOT resposible for damage done on its property, unless the store was at fault in some way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption