If my boyfriendy is in the process of a divorce and his ex is claiming that he committed adultery, can I be subpoenaed to court?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriendy is in the process of a divorce and his ex is claiming that he committed adultery, can I be subpoenaed to court?

His ex is trying to file for an at-fault divorce. Even worse, her claims are coming from her claiming to have “gotten something” from him sleeping with her at the same time (even though we know she has been dating and even found her on a dating site, so who knows who she has been with since their separation). Can my medical records also be subpoenaed and exposed in court?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could certainly be subpoened and made to appear and testify: you may well have relevant information for a divorce case, and any witness with relevant information can be compelled to testify. It is possible that you could prevent the release of many of your medical records, since there are protectible privacy interests involved in that; to so, if you or they are subpoened, retain an attorney to object on your behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption