Is it legal to live in my car and have it be my legal residence?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to live in my car and have it be my legal residence?

If so, how do I go about legally establishing my car as my home?

Asked on July 16, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Off the cuff I would say no, it can not.  Why? Because a legal residence implies "permanency" for a time being in a location that stays "permanent" as well.  Cars, by their very nature, are not meant to stay put in one place.  Now you are going to ask me: well what about a mobile home?  That is different as it is either placed on a plot of land and given an address or it can establish temporary residency in a mobile home park.  And regular cars do not have bathrooms and kitchens, etc.   Living in your car will most likely give you a vagrant or transient status in areas in which you park and subject to tickets or worse. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption