If I was cited for fleeing the scene of an accident, what will the consequences be?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was cited for fleeing the scene of an accident, what will the consequences be?

I was driving home and side swiped a vehivle parked on the side of a narrow street. No one was home so I left, intending to return the next day because it was late. Police came to my house with a accident report and leaving the scene citation. My insurance has already paid for both vehicles and this is my first and only offense. I’ve read that it is a misdemeanor and can be sentenced to 30 days jail time and fined. What are the likely consequences I will receive, fines jail time and will I lose my license? This will all result in loss of my job.

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Iowa


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Fleeing the scene of an accident is typically a misdemeanor offense, and a a felony offense if the accident caused serious injury or death. For first time offenders, it is possible to receive probation or even a fine under a delayed sentence, in which the case will be dismissed upon a successful completion of the probation and payment of fines and costs. Because this varies by state, and can have an impact on your insurance costs and license, I would seek the representation of an experienced criminal defense attorney in your area to help you successfully navigate through your case to and help you avoid having a criminal conviction for this offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption