What to do if I was accused of a criminal misdemeanor that I did not commit?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was accused of a criminal misdemeanor that I did not commit?

Later then DA offered a plea bargain of a traffic misdemeanor class 2 (fictitious plates). I accepted it because that is what I had done. The judge ordered me to get fingerprinted within 10 days of the case. I showed up before the 10 days but could not afford it (I live below poverty and had over $200 in court fees to pay). It has been 2 months since the 10 days ran out and there should be a warrant out for me. Is there anyway to avoid an arrest or failing that not have this incident show up on my record?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Because you have plead guilty to the misdemeanor offense, if you are not guilty and want to have a trial in the matter, this can only be done by withdrawing your guilty plea and having the judge accept your withdrawal which can be very difficult to do. At this point, it is likely that a bench warrant has issued for your arrest. I would either turn yourself in to the police to address the warrant, or go back to the sentencing judge's court and see if you can set a new court date to appear. If allowed to do so, simply explain to the judge why you never got fingerprinted and request that the judge sentence you in a way that will avoid you having a criminal conviction on your record if possible. Honesty is key in these situations when you appear before the judge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption