if i haven’t paid my rent and i can’t afford it with late fees, is there a payment plan i can request?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if i haven’t paid my rent and i can’t afford it with late fees, is there a payment plan i can request?

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

usually there is no state or federal mandate to set up a payment plan between two private individuals in a lease type situation. If you have a lease and are having trouble making payments what you will need to do is contact the landlord and try to make a payment plan with them. Explain your situation, that you want to make good on what you owe but are having a rough time.

Maybe they can work something out with you to make things easier on you both, and if they refuse you can contact a local attorney and see if there is anything in TX that addresses situations such as yours. I doubt it but without being admitted in TX I cannot say for certain what the scenario would be. But oftentimes eviction is a very difficult process so a landlord is happy to work with you. good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption