If I have a judgement against me for a student loan and I am nowmaking paymentsaccording to the judgement, can they sue me again?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have a judgement against me for a student loan and I am nowmaking paymentsaccording to the judgement, can they sue me again?

About 2 1/2 years ago, I recieved a summons to court and settled with the debt collector to pay $200 a month until the loan is paid off. This is a private student loan. Now, today, I found another summons to court for the same loan. I have been paying the $200 each month. It is important to note that the attorney listed on this summons is different from the original. How can they sue me again when I have been paying according to the judgement. Also, can I sue them for harrassment?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hopefully you have a written agreement with respect to the student loan that you are paying off. I would contact the attorney who has sued you regarding this student loan recently and follow up with the telephone call with a written letter memorializing the conversation.

Possibly if you cannot get the duplicative lawsuit resolved you might have to consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you. From what you have written, it seems as though someone holding the loan documentation has sold the loan to a third party without advising the buyer in due course that there was a settlement with you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption