How or where does any monies come from as far as pain and suffering resulting from a car accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How or where does any monies come from as far as pain and suffering resulting from a car accident?

Other party was at fault and received a ticket. The other part’s insurance has covered vehicle damage and $15,000 for medical expenses, as that is the policy’s maximum. That is what the insurance company is offering me. Is there more money that the insurer can offer or settle towards my pain and suffering or is that money come from the individual?

Asked on October 20, 2016 under Personal Injury, Arizona


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. 
Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports which document the nature and extent of your injury.
If the policy limit is $15,000, that is the maximum you can receive.  If that amount just covers your medical bills, then you would not receive adequate compensation for pain and suffering.  Your only recourse is to reject the settlement offer and sue the at-fault party for negligence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption