Can I sue her insurance company or her property insurance

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue her insurance company or her property insurance

I was at my child’s home visiting her and her mother struck me with her vehicle
on purpose and i have sub-stained injuries and had to miss work also. I filed
charges against her with my local police department

Asked on October 20, 2016 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Assault and battery are both criminal and civil (lawsuit). The criminal and civil cases proceed independently of each other.
Assault is intentionally placing a person in reasonable apprehension of an immediate battery (physical contact) without consent or legal privilege.
Battery is the intentional harmful or offensive touching of the person of another without consent or legal privilege.
You can sue your child's mother for assault and battery for intentionally striking you with her car.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical report(s)),and wage loss.
You can also seek punitive damages (a substantial amount) to punish her intentional, wrongful act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption