If my husband died without a Will, what information am I legally bound to give his family?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband died without a Will, what information am I legally bound to give his family?

Initially, his only daughter (not my child) said he gave a verbal will to her and we moved forward to divide the items that way within 2 weeks of my husband’s death. Any money that came from his wages I used to pay the mortgage. The daughter verbally agreed to this. I also inherited some land but my husband’s family doesn’t want me to be a part of it. They hired a lawyer that is telling me I have to provide them with bank statements and account for all other items that they didn’t take originally but now also want. Do I have to give them detailed bank statements just because they ask for it in the name of clearing his debt?

Asked on February 19, 2015 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  First, an oral will is valid in Texas but only for personal property, not transfer of real property.  There are also certain statutory requirements and you should reall speak with someone about that. Anything jointly held went straight to you.  If the bank accounts were joint then they are yours too and it sounds as if they are on a fishing expedition.  I would really seek legal help on this asap.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption