How much can a landlord legaly charge for holdover rent?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How much can a landlord legaly charge for holdover rent?

Is it double the amont or triple the amount of the original rent?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the term of your lease has come to an end, you need to carefully read your written lease agreement in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. If there is a provision in the presumed written agreement about monthly rental after the term of your lease ends, its provisions control.

If there is no provision as to what the monthly rent will be as a holdover tenant and there is no oral agreement between you and your landlord as to what the monthly rental will be, then the amount that you were paying before the lease came to an end should be what your rental rate should be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption