What can I do if myex-friend left her stuff behind?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if myex-friend left her stuff behind?

My ex-friend has been out of my house since the middle of last month. She’s not on the lease and she still has some property at my house that I’d like to remove since she hasn’t stepped foot in my house for almost a month. What can I do? I am trying to be civil but she wants to procrastinate and I am tired of her using her old room as her storage shed. She didn’t pay this month’s rent so in my eyes, her stuff shouldn’t be there but I don’t want to go to jail for throwing it on the curb. The police told me she had the right to be there until the 1st since she was paid up that far.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your former roommate is no longer living in the rental that you once shared with her and she has left belongings behind that you want her to pick up, you need to do the following:

1. write her a letter (sent certified mail, return receipt requested) requesting that she pick up the items by a certain date and time or you would consider them abandoned. If not picked up by that date and time, reference that you will dispose of them as you deem appropriate.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

2. if the items are not picked up by the set date and time and if you believe they are worth collectively $300.00 or less, you can dispose of them as you wish.

3. if the items collectively are worth $300.00 or more in your opinion, you should take them to an offsite storage facility and place the rental agreement in the name of your former roommate with her current address and telephone number. Send a copy of the rental agreement to her with a letter keeping a copy of it for future reference.

If your former roommate does not pay the storage charges, the storage facility company will auction off the items to pay its unpaid bill.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption