Get Legal Help Today
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 29, 2010
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.
A valid Hawaii marriage license is required for getting married in Hawaii. Various age requirements apply, and couples must bring identification. While there is no residency requirement for getting married in Hawaii, both parties must be present at the time of applying for the marriage license. The specifics of Hawaii marriage laws are set forth below.
Hawaii Marriage Consent Laws
- With Parental Consent: Minors 16 and 17 years old may marry in Hawaii, but only with the consent of both parents. Consent forms can be obtained from a state marriage license agent. 15 year-olds wishing to marry must get written approval from a family court judge, in addition to parental consent.
- Without Parental Consent: Individuals 18 and older may marry in Hawaii without parental consent.
Hawaii Common Law Marriage
Hawaii does not recognize common law marriages.
Hawaii Marriage License
- Residency: No residency requirement.
- Tests: None.
- Identification Required: Couples must present two valid forms of ID such as a driver’s license and passport. Individuals 18 or younger must also present proof of age in the form of a certified copy of a birth certificate.
- Appearance/Proxy: There is no marriage by proxy in Hawaii. Both parties must be present at the time of application for a Hawaii marriage license.
- Previous Marriages: If the divorce or death occurred in the last 30 days, previously married individuals must present certified proof of the divorce or death at the time of application.
- Length of License: 30 days from the date of issuance.
- Fees: $60, payable in cash only.
- Copies: Couples will receive one certified copy of the marriage license free of charge, within 60-120 days of the marriage ceremony.
Authorized Hawaii Officiants: Any minister of a church may perform a Hawaii marriage. Ministers must have obtained a license from the Hawaii Department of Health.