Do I have to re-serve a petition for contempt to the respondent if I have to re-file with the court?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to re-serve a petition for contempt to the respondent if I have to re-file with the court?

I sent in my Petition for Contempt (Failure to Follow Parenting Plan) at the courthouse. They said to go ahead and get the respondent served with a copy. I did that and 3 days later the courthouse returned my petition and did not file due to my ex-lawyers name was still on the case. He is in the process of removing himself from my case. If I am re-filing the same petition, do I need to re-serve the respondent?

Asked on July 19, 2011 under Family Law, Montana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, unfortunately you do.  The original Petition was never actually filed with the court so service upon the respondent is really a moot issue.  There is no proceeding pending to attach the affidavit of service to at this point in time.  I would wait until such time as the attorney is no longer on the file file an affidavit of discharge of the attorney (the facts surrounding this issue are not really clear; is it a fee dispute? ).  It is a shame that you wen to all the trouble and that the court clerk did not check he papers prior to your leaving the courthouse.  Next time I would wait a few days before service is attempted and check back with the court before you do.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption